Sunday, November 04, 2012

Brigham City Temple Open House

Jonathan has been really into temples lately.  Being in Utah, there are several opportunities to point them out when we're out and about.  I love it that he gets so excited about seeing them.

Well, with the Brigham City Temple open house coming up I thought he'd really love to go see inside a temple.  I looked online and all the days were full except in the morning during the week.  I was really disappointed and knew Jonathan would be too.  A sad Jonathan is heart breaking.  A while later I was reading something somewhere about more tickets being available.  I looked online and there were some available for Labor Day in the afternoon so I quickly reserved some.  Whew, it looked like we'd be going after all.

When we got there we parked at a building a several blocks away and rode a bus to the temple.  There were so many people.  The line stretched all the way around and, as we found out later, wound around quite a bit in the underground garage, too.  In the end I think we were in line for at least an hour and a half.

Since we had plenty of time, we took some pictures.

 I thought the design was very elegant.

 The people behind us were nice enough to take our picture.

So pretty.  Some people were handing out bottled water along the route.  I thought that was very thoughtful.

It was nice to finally get to the garage part of the line.  Even though it was hot, at least it was in the shade.

 There was some water to drink which was really nice after being outside for so long.

Brigham kept himself busy by perusing the brochure.

It was great to finally see inside the temple and not just because it was air conditioned.  It was so beautiful.  Somewhere in the middle Jonathan realized that he really had to go to the bathroom.  One hostess said he'd have to go all the way outside and use the port-a-potties.  That didn't seem like a possible option.  We kept going and asked another hostess when we started getting more desperate.  She let them go in a bathroom in the temple!  So, I guess Jonathan will have a special connection to this particular temple.   At the very end there were cookies and bottles of water.  A very welcome treat after all the waiting.

Some of us were grumpy from the long lines and the heat, but I have to say that Brigham was an absolute angel.  He never complained and happily went along with us.  Maybe it's because he kept hearing his name during the tour.

We had kind of assumed that we would be done in enough time to stop for dinner on the way home.  Our schedule was moved back slightly by the unexpected wait.  But, we still stopped in Ogden to eat at Chuck-A-Rama.  That was exactly what our tired bodies needed.  Chuck-A-Rama makes everything better.  We didn't get home until after 10:00 and it was a school night.

It's kind of funny to be remembering this experience and associating it with so much discomfort.  Inside was so beautiful and definitely peaceful, but our bodies were also hot, tired, and irritable.  Makes me think that we have a lot to look forward to in heaven.

1 comment:

  1. Were we really in that line for an hour and a half? To me it felt like around 30 or 40 minutes!

    ReplyDelete