Thursday, July 29, 2010

Our "Garden"

I use the quotes because it really feels like we're just making it up as we go along. I will be pleasantly surprised if anything besides weeds grow in our "garden". We got a late start and didn't get around to planting anything until halfway through July. We anticipated this and so only planted things that do well in the heat and have a short germination. We'll see how it goes.

Of course we had the boys help pull the weeds that had regrown since we tilled it, during which we had the inevitable conversation about the relationship between work and play. Then we turned on the irrigation to make trenches for the water.


We decided to plant cucumbers, green beans, and peas. I put them in alphabetical order from East to West so I would remember where we planted them. There were a lot of seeds for the beans so we ended up planting two rows.


Then the boys helped water the seeds. The dirt seems so dry, but the weeds don't seem to have a problem growing so maybe our vegetables will be okay.

Not a bad first start to our garden. I think this will be good practice for next year. Hopefully, we'll be more on top of it.

2 comments:

  1. My parents had us kids pull weeds. I still have nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so impressed, especially at how you laid out your plants, I never would have thought of something like that. I always love fresh food out of the garden, it's the best:)

    ReplyDelete