Friday, January 02, 2015

Trick-or-Treating

Every year I tell myself that I am not going to put off getting everyone's costume together.  Every year I put off getting everyone's costume together.  Jonathan decided he wanted to be Emmet from The Lego Movie.  I wasn't sure if I should make him look like a lego figure, with a box body and everything or if I should just make him look like a construction worker.  I decided that it would be much easier to make him a construction worker.  If I hadn't put off getting his costume together I might have had time to be more creative and thrifty.  But, since I didn't, I went the more expensive, but fast, route.

 I found the perfect box to make into the Piece of Resistance.  It just took several coats of spray paint to make it ready.  I bought the pants and jacket online.  They were the most expensive part.  But I found the reflective tape at Home Depot, so not all of it was done for me.

 He was super cute and also popular on the Trick-or-Treating route.

 Brigham didn't want to be anything.  He's just the right size for so many of our costumes.  Mario, Luigi, Link.  He didn't want to be any of them.  He didn't want to be a pumpkin again either.  Every time I asked him what he wanted to be he would say "no costume".  When it was time to go Trick-or-Treating I asked him if he wanted to go and he said "yes".  I asked him what costume he wanted to wear and he said "no costume".  I told him that he had to wear a costume if he wanted to go Trick-or-Treating.  He thought for a second then said "pumpkin again".  So, I put him in his pumpkin costume which is really just a pumpkin headband and an orange shirt turned inside out.  Last year I cut out felt shapes and used double-sided tape to stick them to his shirt.  It didn't work super well, they kept falling off when we were Trick-or-Treating.  This year I decided to use electrical tape.  It was tricky but worked much better.  Unfortunately, Brigham remembered the felt falling off and spent most of the night holding on to the face pieces even though they weren't going anywhere.  He was so cute though.

 I had my Jan Brady costume that I haven't been able to wear in about ten years.  I wish I had a picture of the pants, they are amazing.  Green corduroy bell-bottoms.  You're missing out.  I had an amazing gold turtleneck shirt that I would wear with it but I must have given it way.  I decided to wear my Jan Brady t-shirt.  I little too on-the-nose but the best I could do in a pinch.  Like I said, I waited until the last minute.  We were late getting started because I was pulling my costume out of storage and taping a pumpkin face onto Brigham's shirt.  Next year I will have my traditional goal of not waiting until the last minute to put together costumes.

We never go very far, my boys are surprisingly impatient about getting free candy if it involves a lot of walking and talking to strangers.  And by "surprising" I mean not at all surprising.  I was a little surprised, genuinely, that Brigham could have kept going.  When we got back he was more than happy to go to my parents' house to Trick-or-Treat.  We stayed longer than I meant to and it was getting late.  I wanted to visit Jaaromy's parents too and I asked Brigham if he wanted to go to Grandma Patti's and he said yes.  I decided that it was just too late so we didn't but he could have gone all night, apparently.

As I get older Halloween is less and less fun for me, but these boys are cute and it was fun putting the costumes together.  I loved Jonathan's Emmet and Brigham's pumpkin.  So cute.  Plus, it was so warm that we didn't even need jackets.  It was a nice night.

No comments:

Post a Comment