Monday, May 28, 2012

Grandma and Grandpa are going away on a mission

My parents decided that they were going to go on a mission.  They first mentioned it maybe nine months ago.  Honestly, I don't remember.  At the time it seemed so far away and unimaginable I didn't think about it much, but now here we are and I feel both prepared and unprepared for what it actually means.

They went into the MTC on April 30th and left for Vancouver on May 11th so now they have been gone almost a whole month.  The day before they left was their farewell.  They both gave wonderful talks and it was great to hear their testimonies.  They had all of us participate in a family choir and we sang Come Follow Me which went well, despite being somewhat chaotic.

After the meeting we got together at their house for lunch.  It was great being with everyone and there was a lot of tasty food and desserts.

We also attempted a family picture.

I love this picture of my dad trying to direct everyone for the picture.

 Not bad.

Don't they look cute?  We're so lucky to live at a time when it is so easy to communicate with others all over the world.  We've been able to talk with them through e-mail, of course, but also Skype.  It can't compete with the real thing, but it really goes a long way towards feeling connected with those you love.  I also worked hard helping my mom feel comfortable with using her blog, of course, Blogger immediately changed everything.  Hopefully, this new Blogger format will make it easier.

I will be hard not having them around, especially in regards to free baby-sitting, but I was reminded that Heavenly Father blesses the families of missionaries while they're in the field and so now I know that this is going to be an awesome 18 months.

1 comment:

  1. I also love the picture of Dad trying to direct everyone. I think he thinks he is directing the choir. I guess that's why we are here in Vancouver--so our family will be blessed!

    ReplyDelete