So, when it was Nathaniel's turn to take care of the class hamsters for the weekend I sent a note to school giving my approval. Friday afternoon Nathaniel came home from school with two bags full of hamsters and hamster supplies. If I had known he was going to have to carry so much, I might have gone and picked him up. As for the hamsters, I think they might have been a little freaked out from what was surely a bumpy ride. The boys were quite taken with them and we sat and stared at them for a long time.

The boys were also anxious to let them run around in the hamster balls that were included in the bag of hamster supplies. But since they seemed a little freaked out, I decided that we should let them acclimate(yes, I used that word with Nathaniel so don't be surprised if you hear it from him soon) for a day, then we can put them in the hamster balls.
So the next day they got their wish. It totally worked out because it gave us a good excuse to clean up the family room. The boys were happy to help clean up to make room for the hamsters. It was a hoot to watch them roll around the room, they're so fast.
Unfortunately for the hamsters, my wireless card isn't working so I had to use the cable and the router is by the tv, so they had to keep rolling over the cable. Sometimes they made it and sometimes they didn't. I think the hamsters got tired before the boys did because after a while they would stop rolling around and just sit in the ball. It worked out because then I could let Jonathan hold the ball while he played video games.
As a side note: In my post about the bird in our dryer, there was one part of the story that I forgot to mention. When Jonathan heard about the bird in the house, he really wanted the bird to stay and watch him play Zelda. I'm not sure why he was so desirous of this and he was really disappointed when we told him that the bird was gone and couldn't watch. When the hamsters came to visit, he was excited about the idea of the hamsters watching him play Zelda. So when the hamsters got tired of rolling around, I figured it was a perfect opportunity to let them sit on his lap and watch him play video games.
Overall, it was fun having the hamsters around. It kind of stressed Jaaromy out to have them rolling around for some reason and they bit his hand quite a bit when he put them in the hamster balls. And it was a little disconcerting to hear noises coming from the family room late at night, but it was fun and the kids enjoyed it. Who knows, maybe the boys will get a pet of their very own one day.
Yep, I think you need to get your boys some hamsters! Every kid needs to experience hamsters once in their life, right? Cute pictures!
ReplyDeleteI'd like a hamster in a ball, it would really freak my wife out. :)
ReplyDelete